EU NAVFOR Somalia and Combined Task Force-151 conduct focused counter-piracy operation.February 11, 2020 - 16:04
During the period 7th – 9th Feb EU NAVFOR Somalia and Combined Task Force-151 (CTF-151) conducted focused counter-piracy operation IKARUS around the Somali Coast, the Horn of Africa and the Gulf of Aden. The primary mission was to deter and disrupt piracy when required, apart from improving coordination and information sharing between CTF 151, EU […]
EU NAVFOR’S VICTORIA RESPONDS TO AN URGENT MEDICAL REQUEST IN THE GULF OF ADENFebruary 10, 2020 - 15:27
8th February 2020, Merchant Vessel (MV) NORTHERN JADE sailing under the flag of Germany, called EU NAVFOR Somalia OHQ requesting medical assistance for a crew member who was injured. Watchkeeping team reacted immediately and passed the request to Force Commander Commodore Vizinha Mirones, who tasked ESPS “VICTORIA”, as the closest unit under his command. […]
OPERATION ATALANTA FORCE COMMANDER COMMODORE VIZINHA MIRONES VISITS KEY AUTHORITIES IN BERBERAFebruary 5, 2020 - 15:49
“EU missions and local authorities work together to ensure security at sea and to improve lives ashore” Commodore Jose Antonio Vizinha Mirones Operation ATALANTA Force Commander Berbera, 30 January 2020 —Last week, FCDR met with important key actors in Somaliland and attended a signing ceremony of “Berbera Urban Development Project Launch” together with EU DEL […]
Task Force 465 Chief of Staff Commander Federico Martínez Gaude meets with important Somaliland Coast Guard authoritites in Berbera.February 4, 2020 - 13:25
“Close coordination with EUNAVFOR is vital to fight against piracy” Berbera, 29 January 2020 —In Berbera this week, Task Force 465 Chief of Staff (COS) and other members of EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation ATALANTA met with key actors of Somaliland. The meeting was attended by Colonel Harun Saeed, Berbera Base Commander; Major Mohamed Ahmed Kahin, […]
ABOUT USThe European Union Naval Force (Op Atalanta) Somalia - Operation Atalanta was launched on 8 December 2008 and is conducted in accordance with United Nations Security Council's resolutions. The Operation has been extended by the European Council until December 2020 and has the following objectives:
- Protects vessels of the World Food Programme (WFP) and other vulnerable shipping.
- Deters, prevents and represses piracy and armed robbery at sea.
- Monitors fishing activities off the coast of Somalia.
- Supports other EU missions and international organisations working to strengthen maritime security and capacity in the region.
currently held by pirates
|Vessels Held1||Hostages Held2|
|wfp vessels protected||485|
|amisom vessels protected||140|
|tonnes of food/aid delivered by WFP||1,890,6123|
|pirates transfered to competent authorities with a view to their prosecution||total
|of which pirated4||14||46||47||25||4||0||0||0||0||2||0||0|
- Plus an unknown number of unreported/unconfirmed dhows and smaller vessels.
- Reported metric tonnes of food/aid delivered to Somali ports by World Food Programme shipping protected by EU NAVFOR.
- TOTAL ATTACK is the combined number of all attacks mounted by suspect pirates; those repelled/aborted and those leading to ships being in pirate hands and crews taken hostage.
- An action that renders a pirate group incapable of further pirate operation.